In recent years myopia (nearsightedness) is reaching epidemic proportions. Here are some of the predisposing factors for increased myopia
- Genetics: having both parents with myopia
- Environmental: education and spending more time doing near (computer work).
Increase in myopia causes increase in developement of macular degenereation, glaucoma, cataracts and retinal detachment.
Some of the treatment options, that aim in decreasing progression of myopia in kids include:
- Multifocal (having both near and distance correction) soft contact lenses
- Progressive (multifocal) glasses
- Low dose Atropine therapy (0.01% or 0.02%)
- Orthokeratology (overnight hard contact lens wear)
For more infromation and to discuss options for myopia control for your child please contact our office for an evaluation.